The Songwriters Rhyming Dictionary

I have discovered a wonderful new rhyming dictionary - Sammy Cahn's The Songwriters Rhyming Dictionary. It has some of the attributes of the invaluable Poet's Manual and Rhyming Dictionary but is much simpler and totally wonderful! I also use the Penguin Rhyming Dictionary but this is not as useful for lyric writing. Apparently the Collins is also very good so I will have to have a look out for that next time I am in a bookshop and see whether it is any more helpful. I prefer to find rhymes myself but when I'm really stuck it is fantastic to have a really good source to turn to. Often, before I really get going with a song I make lists of rhymes which I think will be useful. But I think that the real art of using rhyme in songs is to make them unobstrusive, so that you hardly even notice that the song has rhymes at all.

Comments

Popular Posts