MARGUERITE

Tonight I am off to the press night of Boublil and Schonberg's Marguerite at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket. They are the book writers only for this musical; the lyrics are by Herbert Kretzmer, who wrote the Les Mis lyrics, and the music is by Michel Legrand who wrote the music for YENTL, which I unashamedly adore. I blame this sympathy with YENTL mostly on the fact that I fell insanely in love with one of the actors from the movie and whenever I hear the music it sends me back to that time. The musical has been based on the novel La Dame aux Camelias' by Alexandre Dumas but they have changed the time to the second world war and made Marguerite a Jewess and Armand a Nazi. Jonathan Kent is directing and the main characters are played by Julian Ovenden, Ruthie Henshall and Alexander Hanson.

Comments

Popular Posts