GENIE, GENIE OF THE LAMP!

I went to the Oxford Playhouse Aladdin last week - it was a delight! The director was the brilliant Peter Duncan, who also co-wrote the script with Chris Jordan. Simon Green, who played Widow Twankie, the dame, was almost unrecognisable in real life! His comic timing was superb and the rest of the cast were also impeccable. I did get sprayed with foam and water but sadly did not manage to catch any of the sweets. It was interesting that Aladdin was not played by a girl but somehow Simon's stately presence was enough cross dressing for one show.

It was wonderful to meet Tish Frances at last! She took me out for a fantastic lunch after the show, to talk about the future of POSSESSED. We even managed to wander over to the Oxford Union to have a look at the Pre-Raphaelite murals afterwards. Oxford looked hauntingly Christmassy in the dim evening light but I still managed to find Janey's birthplay in St Helen's Passage. This was a lump in the throat moment because I realised that it was just down the alley from the Turf Tavern, where I used to work, and must have passed it so many times.

I am still waiting for the ACE response!

Comments

Popular Posts